Recipe: Fall Harvest Squash Soup
Fall is the perfect time to make this soup! Squash contains many antioxidants, is an anti-inflammatory, is high in beta carotene ( the precursor to Vitamin A), B vitamins, vitamin C and fiber.
Panax ginseng is a wonderful immune tonic, ecellent to include at the onset of fall to help ward off colds and flus!
Panax is also used to improve energy, focus, concentration, response to stress, and can be found seasonally in Asian Grocery stores. It is optional and must be avoided if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, have an auto-immune condition or are giving it to children. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1000.html
This is a great soup for kids as it is nutrient rich, with a smooth, creamy and delicious texture. (Omit the Ginseng for kids)
1 Acorn Squash (really any squash will do)
1 Onion, diced
2 Carrots, diced
2 cups Filtered water
1 Cup of Almond or Coconut Milk
1 Large clove of garlic ( or 2-3 small ones), minced
1 Thumb sized piece of Fresh Turmeric root, sliced OR 1 Tbsp of Turmeric Powder
1.5 Thumb sized piece of Fresh Ginseng root., sliced
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 Tsp Cumin
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
Salt & Black pepper to taste.
1. In a large pot, place squash and fill to about halfway with water and set to boil for 7-9 minutes, turning squash halfway until tender enough to stick a knife in.
2. Take squash out of water and cut a slice off the bottom.
3. Stand squash on a cutting board and cut the peel off.
4. Cut Squash in half, scoop out seeds and set aside. see Recipie: Roasted Squash Seeds
5. In a large pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat and add onion, carrots, garlic, turmeric, ginseng, nutmeg , cumin, salt ad pepper. Saute until onions are translucent.
6. Cut Squash into 1 inch pieces and add into pot and stir.
7. Add Milk and water and increase heat until it reaches a boil. Once it boils, lower to a simmer for 15 minutes. Add more liquid, salt and pepper as needed.
8. Blend all the ingredients together until soup achieves a smooth, creamy consistency and serve hot.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Welcome to the Hillcrest Centre for Health a community focused health centre offering a full spectrum of safe and effective health care services and supplements by combining a wellness clinic, healing spa and natural health boutique all in one convenient location!