This week a recall came out that affects many of our patients so we thought we would help spread the word. Please continue to share!
Health Canada has recalled several digestive enzymes due to the discovery that they have been contaminated by Chloramphenicol. Chloramphenicol is an inexpensive antibiotic which can cause rare, but serious side effects of bone marrow suppression and aplastic anemia. Chloramphenicol has also been know to create a resistance to antibiotics over time, thus its use was largely discontinued in developed countries, but continues to be used in underdeveloped nations.
If you are taking digestive enzymes, please check the recall list frequently as new batched are updated:
Because the recall spans so many brands, many of them high quality brands like Metagenics, it is believed the contamination happened at the source of the raw materials. They are a handful of raw material suppliers of nutraceuticals in the world, many companies often use the same sources. In this case the supplier was Specialty enzymes & Biotechnologies.
What to do if you are taking a contaminated batch?
1. Stop taking it right away.
2. Take a multi-strain probiotic short term to rebalance your intestinal flora.
3. If you are breastfeeding, Chloramphenicol passes through breast milk so possibly re-balancing baby's flora may be indicated.
4. Chloramphenicol is metabolized by the liver and excreted by the kidneys. Make sure your liver is in top shape, some dandelion leaf and root tea would be helpful as the root works on the liver and the leaf on the kidneys.
5. Drink lots of water to flush it out of your system.
6. If you are still worried, consult with your Naturopathic Doctor.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Welcome to the Hillcrest Centre for Health a community focused health centre offering a full spectrum of safe and effective health care services and supplements by combining a wellness clinic, healing spa and natural health boutique all in one convenient location!